Monday, June 24, 2013

Our Personal View on Home Schooling

The school year has ended for our eldest son as well as for me.  It was bittersweet when I handed my resignation letter to our Principal and when he made the announcement to all the staff regarding my decision.  Overall, it was cathartic! 
So summer has officially begun (considering the temperature that we are having, above 90's and I am not complaining).  Aidan's materials and curriculum has arrived.  I already started to read through the lesson plans.  I am a little nervous when I think of everything that I have to accomplish before August arrives.  It's all going to be me, myself and Charisma.  From setting up the place in the house, reading curriculum, having the materials and school supplies we need ready.  All that, in addition to making sure that we enjoy every bits and crumbs this summer season offers.
Before I get lost in all the chaos of preparing ourselves in this journey, I wanted to address first the basic question that I'm sure everyone has in their mind:  "Why home school?"
When I was first asked about this question, I was surprised that it was so hard for me to verbalize the reasons for home schooling.  I just blurted out answers that I felt so inadequate.  I was surprised with my response, and it bothered me somehow why I can not give a quick answer to that simple question.  Deep down inside me I know that's what we wanted to do and that's what we feel is right for our kids. So that night, I sat down with my husband and asked him the same questions and being a logical thinker he is, he came up with this matrix.  He told me that in every project you undertake, there are three things you have to consider 1) Resources, 2) Time and 3) Quality.  Just imagine these three things making up the sides of a triangle.  Below are the things we came up with:
1) Resources- cheaper than private school, more instruction (1:1 teacher:student ratio), availability of home school groups and help, accredited curriculum, we can afford it with only one of us working.
2) Time- quality time with our children, we can define our own schedule (learning time, vacation), go at own pace catered to the learning needs of our children, save some time.
3) Quality- better life (enriched faith), cater to needs of our children, advanced learning compared to public school students, individualized learning.
These reasons might not be enough for some of you.  We also believe that not everyone can home school. It is really a personal choice and decision.  Even though our choices might differ from one another, I'm sure there is always the common ground of "doing what is best for our children."






2 comments:

  1. Sounds like perfectly good reasons to me Charisma! You are going to do a wonderful job teaching your boys, you have already been their first teacher in life and you will just continue and grow in this journey! I personally know many people who have home schooled their children and it had been what was best for their families, and their kids have turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mindy (-: I really appreciate your comment!

      Delete